Sunday, October 17, 2010

The Vegan Double Down

So, tomorrow KFC brings the coveted Double Down to Canada.

In case you are unfamiliar with the Double Down, it is "two thick and juicy boneless white meat chicken filets (Original Recipe® or Grilled), two pieces of bacon, two melted slices of Monterey Jack and pepper jack cheese and Colonel's Sauce."


I was feeling uber Indian Jones tonight, so I decided to come home and make a vegan version of the Double Down.  This is what it ended up looking like:



Here is a comparison of the nutritional information for the KFC and the Vegan Double Down:

KFC's Double DownVegan Double DownSavings
Calories590391199
Fat (20%) in grams31256
Protein (20%) in grams611843
Carbohydrates (60%) in grams1124-13
Sodium in miligrams1380595785



For my vegan version I used President's Choice Meatless Chicken Breast Strips, Marinated Tempeh Bacon, and Daiya Cheddar replacement. I used a tbsp. of olive oil for frying.

My version saved 199 calories, 6 grams of fat, 43 grams of protein, and 785 milligrams of sodium. It also had 13 grams more carbohydrates. Aside from being much easier on the waistline than KFC's double down, the merits if this vegan dish are somewhat limited.

I didn't enjoy eating it. I was severely distressed that 100% of the products used to make it were highly processed. Even though this food adventure was animal friendly, I wouldn't make the Vegan Double Down ever again.

After eating I felt like I had swallowed several of condoms full of dry cement mix (you know, coke mule style) that had ruptured inside me, congealing my intestines into a lethargic clay snake. I was not a fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment