Smoking your own tofu is a supreme act of self love. And it is actually a lot easier than you might think!
To do this, you will need to get a small smoke box and some apple wood chips from your local gourmet shop. I purchased a BBQ smoke box for $10 at The Gourmet Warehouse. They also have stove top smokers for about $40, but I opted for the cheaper do-it-yourself route.
Make sure to purchase the wood chips meant for a stove top smoker, as they are a much finer grind.
1/2 block of firm organic tofu
1 1/2 cup water
1 tsp sea salt
2 tbsp Apple wood smoke chips, stove top smoker grade
1 large pot or wok with lid, wide enough to fit smoke box inside
1 small BBQ smoke box
1 small wire or wooden rack, small enough to fit inside pot
1) Mix salt and water to form a brine. Place tofu in storage container and cover with brine. Let brine overnight ideally, but if you are in a pinch you can brine it for an hour.
2) Mix wood chips in a bowl with a little water, enough to moisten them. Let them soak for 20 minutes.
3) Line bottom of smoke box with tinfoil. Cover bottom of box with soaked wood chips.
4) Cover smoke box with lid and place in pot on stove.
5) Place wire rack over smoke box.
6) Remove tofu from brine and slice into inch thick strips.
7) Place tofu on wire rack.
8) Cover top of pot with tinfoil and put lid on pot.
9) Turn heat up to high. Make sure to open your windows/doors and put on your fan.
10) Smoke the tofu for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the pieces darken in color.
11) Remove from heat and your tofu is ready to use!